Why Verizon Sucks

Well, here's a rant that has little to do with the auto industry, but lots to do with running a business in general.

At Consumers Auto Warehouse, we have been nTelos customers for 11 years. They might still have been called CFW at the time. When we moved our dealership from Waynesboro to Staunton, we entered Verizon's territory, but opted to stay with nTelos.

Say what you will about nTelos -- they don't have the newest wireless stuff, their DSL is a little slow, and since I am in Verizon territory, they lease the lines from them and everything takes two visits to get right, but they have provided us with pretty good service for 11 years.

Verizon has been trying to get our business for years now. And every time they come calling, they can't offer us something good enough to make us switch. I didn't want the hassle and headaches. A few months ago, they got me though. About $70.00 per month cheaper with faster DSL, no install fee, blah blah blah. I figured I had to get a better deal -- I mean, nTelos isn't leasing my lines for free plus if I have service issues in the future, it would be better to call on the actual owner of the lines, right?

Well, no.

The only thing I stressed to the agent who signed me up was that my dealership could not operate without phone and dsl -- even for 1 minute. All our dealership software runs on the internet and our service department is connected to our dealership through DSL, so no DSL, no dealership.

I'll just give you the highlights: On March 15, Verizon showed up to switch me over. However, they failed to get my DSL order in, so I would not have any internet until they came back. Deal breaker! So they left without doing anything. Apparently, they failed to notify nTelos, who shut off ALL my service the next day. nTelos turned it back on after a few phone calls.

So, I recalled my rep at Verizon, told her what happened and got all kinds of assurances that it would not happen again. They scheduled my switch for April 15. On March 30, they shut off my phones and DSL again. After a quick phone call, they told us they could not come to check on things for 24 hours! nTelos was no longer in the loop, so we had NO PHONE SERVICE OR DSL FOR a day and half.

They finally arrived at noon on the 31st. They got some of my phones working, but no DSL, no fax lines, no credit card machines. So I am still out of business with no internet.

On the 1st, the come back and tell me that they screwed up the day before and fix the internet in one location. But, the "order" was not complete on the other DSL line, so I still have no way to connect service to sales. Today, they shut my DSL service off again.

Finally, after threatening to throw their modems onto route 250, a tech came by and "fixed" one of the DSLs. Amazingly, he admitted that their main office apparently UNDID the fixes from the previous day because someone didn't fill out the work order.

So, 5 days later, I still have no DSL in service.

I am in the process of switching back to nTelos. Verizon can kiss it. Their staff doesn't care and they have to be the most unorganized company I have ever worked with. It's no wonder people are shutting off their landlines. Verizon, you suck.

Comments